Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The gods must be crazy part 41

so remember that last post when i mentioned not following rule #2 often enough? yeah. busted again. this time was awful! i had just finished playing dominoes with my friends at Don Garcia's house and knew the storm was coming but was hoping i could beat it. as if the storm was gonna wait 20 minutes for me to get home. please. about 3 minutes into the walk it started to rain. but did i turn back or go to a nearby friend's house? oh no. that would have been giving up. it also would have been way too smart. no, i decided it was only sort of raining and i would keep on keeping on. oops. a few minutes later the sky opened up and i found shelter under an awning of a closed colmado. and i stood right under the electrical box until the other lady who was there pointed it out to me. so that was my third great decision. after a few minutes i thought it seemed like the rain might be letting up so i decided to try to make some headway on my journey home. luckily maybe 2 minutes after leaving the awning the rain got even worse than before. men started yelling at me that i was gonna get the gripe and i just smiled and said "i know" which made them laugh. at least i could find humor in my soaking wet, chilled situation. i decided to take shelter again under another awning but that didnt work because the rain went full on horizontal on me. at that point i dumped out my waterbottle and put my phone in it in the vain hope that that could save it, even though it had already gotten pretty gosh darn wet. and it worked! so yay, i'm not phoneless. about 800 motoconchos offered me bolas home, but i figured at that point i couldn't get wetter, and it was probably safer walking and risking the gripe than to ride 3 to a moto sans a helmet in the crazy rain. i saw one guy riding and using both of his hands to shade his eyes. so that made my decision for me. No motos. by the time i finally got home my skirt was so wet it probably weighed 10 pounds and my shoes were slush. gross, i know. believe me, i know. Dona Agueda took one look at me and was like "get in the house! get in dry clothes! dry your hair! do you want to get the gripe???" so despite my protests about drying off a bit first, i was hustled into the house dripping wet, not even allowed to leave my disgusting toms outside. don't worry though, i did take a picture. someday i will put it up. (edit: i put it up)

so yeah, i basically foretold this event and yet did nothing to prevent it. you know why? because i am a genius. want further proof of said "genius"? the sky is still falling at this point, and i'm hoping it lets up so my friends and i can go dancing tonight. you're right, i will never learn.

In other news, i am liking this town quite a bit. apparently for safety reasons i'm not supposed to say where i am. i might have already. i can't remember. anyway el seibo is great. oops i said it. stalkers keep away! This morning my friend and i scoured the town for jovenes we could practice our teaching skills on. actually we were more trying to practice our "assessing the reading level of the children" skills. we weren't being annoying for fun though. it was homework. anyway i bribed the kids to help us by promising to take their pictures afterwards. those pictures are also pending. sorry, but i'm lazy. no getting around that. It's a risk carrying my laptop all the way to the internet source without knowing if the sky is gonna go nuts on me. because, take my word for it, you NEVER know. case in point: today.

Anyway, i'm all dry now and, si dios quiere, gripe free. suck it rain.

2 comments:

  1. First, good decision making on the motorcycle, but need me to send waterproof shoes? I will look for peanut butter in a tube, sounds like a good idea to me. Great stories Gin, be careful.

    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gin,

    Excellent decision making, staying off the soggy motos! The rest of the decisions...well, you made it home and that's a good thing, right!?

    I love reading these vignettes of yours, Ginny. I can hear your voice and you have no idea how delightful and soothing that is for your ole padre.

    Keep up the good work and decision making!

    Love you, GB,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete